– a limited series about unconventional economics –
Business is hard.
Sales is icky.
Marketing involves self-promotion – which sounds absolutely horrible.
These beliefs are not only erroneous, they are prejudiced.
What if we changed the vocabulary a little bit?
Business = Taking Your Work Seriously
Sales = A Sacred Exchange of Energy
Marketing = Making Terrific New Friends
So if I were to invite you to take your work more seriously, and engage in more regular sacred exchanges of energy with people who found you because you had put some effort into making some terrific new friends….that sounds OK, right?
EASY ACTION STEP:
Today, spend 15 minutes taking ONE easily affordable step to demonstrate that you are taking your work more seriously.
Here are some easy suggestions:
- Order business cards (I like Moo.com, and you can get 25% off if you use my affiliate link: https://refer.moo.com/s/Samantha_Bennett9)
- Add your professional designation to your Facebook page bio
- Get listed in a professional directory
- Search Instagram for hashtags that relate to your field & follow the influencers
- Register for a conference related to your field
- Practice answering the question, “What do you do?” with pride
- Open a business bank account
- Create a LinkedIn profile
When you start taking yourself more seriously, the world will, too.
And remember: The World Needs Your Art.
“That’s 12k from drawing pictures, from selling things with weird animals printed on them. From little resin critters. From taking one little step forward every day (or most days, anyway). From getting brave and making phone calls. From occasionally spending an outsized amount of money on things that were not a guarantee. From asking for help. From panicking and staying committed anyway. From not giving up.” – V.G., current member of Sam’s Pro Club